- Arts organisation
- Alternative Names
- Melbourne Society of Women Painters
- Students' Art Club
- Women's Art Club
- The Ola Cohn Centre for the Arts, 41-43 Gipps Street, East Melbourne
The Melbourne Society of Women Painters and Sculptors was founded in 1902 by women who had been students at the Art School of the National Gallery of Victoria, to provide a forum for artistic discussion and an opportunity to view and comment on each other's work.
Originally named the Students' Art Club, it became "Woomballana" (meaning either 'everlasting beauty' or 'search for beauty') Art Club, The Women's Art Club, the Melbourne Society of Women Painters and finally, in 1954, the present title was adopted.
Sources used to compile this entry: http://home.vicnet.net.au/~mswps/welcome.html.