- 19 June 1946
- Community organisation
- Reference No
- ABN 24 083 075 914
- Level 2, Stockland House, 181 Castlereagh Street, Sydney NSW 2000. Telephone (02) 9267 6577
In June 1946, following the establishment of a War Widows' Craft Guild in Victoria, a Guild was formed in New South Wales.
The purpose of the Guild was to enable war widows in NSW to live their lives with dignity and support to meet their ongoing and emerging needs.
With the setting-up of the Guild, craft work got under way almost immediately, commencing with sock and glove-making classes. By November, the guild shop was opened in Rowe Street, to sell craft goods made by members and other saleable goods. Although Victoria was planning a guild shop, NSW was first to establish one. The NSW Guild closed its handicraft school in December 1951 and sold the equipment to members, but the shop was to remain open, a good money-spinner for the Guild, until September 1960. 
From 1953 to 1988, the Guild in NSW built 13 blocks of units at nine locations. After selling two housing properties, at the time of writing (April 2003) the Guild provides a total of 198 self-care, one-bedroom units of retirement housing in seven Sydney locations.
In 2002 and 2003, President Marie Beach and Chief Executive Officer Patricia Campbell represented The War Widows' Guild of NSW Inc. on the Women in War Project working group.