- 5 August 1915
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- 3 January 1989
- Alternative Names
- Scott, Jean (maiden name, 5 August 1915 - February 1951)
The daughter of grazier Authur John Scott and his wife Thelma, Jean Eales was educated at New England Girls' School. From 1936 until 1938 she attended the Women's College within the University of Sydney. In 1938/1939 she was a University hockey blue. After completing her BSc (VetSc) she assisted her father on the family property. On 13 March 1945 she joined the Women's Auxiliary Australian Air Force (WAAAF) and at the time of her discharge (3 December 1945) she was attached to the 1 Flying Personnel Research Unit.
After the war, Jean worked as a librarian at the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute, Melbourne, until her marriage to farmer Kenneth Eales in February 1951. The pair had one son.
A member of the Victorian Agricultural Society, Jean Eales was for many years secretary and president of the Lilydale Agricultural Show. She was also secretary and member of the Country Fire Authority at Coldstream. Not only was she a recipient of many community awards, but the pavilion at the Lilydale showgrounds (27-29 Market St.) is named after her.
Jean Eales died on 3 January 1989.
Sources used to compile this entry: Annable, Rosemary (ed.), Biographical register : the Women's College within the University of Sydney, Council of the Women's College, Sydney, 1995, 269 pp; information supplied by Anthony McAleer and http://www.walkabout.com.au/locations/VICLilydale.shtml accessed 2003-08-26.