- July 1940
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Membership organisation
- Alternative Names
- Association of Head Mistresses of Girls' Schools (former name, 1940 - 1968)
The Women Principals Association (Victoria), as it was known from the late 1960s, was formed in July 1940 as the Association of Head Mistresses of Girls' Schools. Its membership comprised the Head Mistresses of the thirteen government girls' schools in existence at that time. It aimed 'to discuss topics of general educational interest and particularly matters bearing directly on girls' schools and their organisation'. It advocated strongly for the interests of students in girls' schools to ensure that they enjoyed the same conditions and opportunities as students in boys or co-educational high schools. In the 1970s it vigorously defended the retention of girls' schools in the state education system.
Sources used to compile this entry: Women Principals Association (Vic.) records [manuscript], 1939, MS 10202; Women Principals Association (Vic.) (1940 - ); State Library of Victoria, Australian Manuscripts Collection.