- 20 May 1899
- Voluntary organisation
- c/o PO Box 122 Battery Point 7004 Ph: 03 6223 3417 Fax: 03 6224 6126 e-mail: email@example.com
The National Council of Women of Tasmania was founded in 1899, in response to an invitation from the Countess of Aberdeen (then president of the International Council of Women) for Tasmania to be represented at the International Council of Women Congress in London that year. Its inaugural meeting, on the 20 May 1899 was organised by Mrs J. S. Dodds, wife of the Tasmanian Administrator. The initial committee also included Emily Dobson(wife of former Premier Henry Dobson), who was active in a large number of women's groups, and who was later vice-president (1900-1903) and then president (1904-1934) of the Council.
It is a non-party, non-sectarian, umbrella organisation for a large and diverse number of affiliated Tasmanian women's groups. It functions as a political lobby group, attempting to influence local, state and federal government. It provided a major focus for, predominantly middle-class, women's activism until at least the 1940s. The Council has supported a wide range of social reform activities, particularly those related to education and to women's, children's and family welfare.
Its aims are:
• 'To provide a strong network and a means for affiliated groups to support each other, and
• To work together on matters of mutual interest or concern, as well as links with the wider community;
• To promote the best interests of women and their families and people in general;
• To confer and provide a two-way flow of information on issues related to the welfare of the family, the state and the Commonwealth;
• To work in every way for the application of equity, social justice (the Golden Rule) and improvements in quality of life in a sustainable environment, for everyone.'