Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Membership organisation
The Catalysts' Society developed out of the meetings of nineteen women with intellectual interests who planned to establish a Lyceum Club in Melbourne in 1910. The meetings proved so enjoyable that the women decided to meet on a regular basis while waiting for the Lyceum Club to be established. The nineteen original Catalysts held their first dinner meeting on 24 September 1910 at Sargent's Café. At that meeting they elected Ethel Osborne as president and Alice Michaelis and Jessie Webb as joint secretaries. They adopted the name of 'The Catalysts'. At their second meeting they chose their motto 'Changing but Unchanged'. Enid Derham presented the first paper on 'The works of Thomas Hardy', which was followed by discussion. This format for the monthly meetings continues today.