Australian Women's Register

An initiative of The National Foundation for Australian Women (NFAW) in conjunction with The University of Melbourne

Skip to content

Use Trove to find more resources by/about this Organisation

  • Trove

South Melbourne Ladies' Benevolent Society (1875 - 1982)

From
1875
South Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
To
1982
Occupations
Welfare organisation

Summary

The South Melbourne Ladies' Benevolent Society began in July 1875, when the Emerald Hill Benevolent Society formally handed over its work to a committee of women and continued to operate for one hundred and seven years. It provided relief to destitute families in the area. It was acknowledged as ' one of the best managed societies of its kind'.

Sources used to compile this entry: Priestley, Susan, South Melbourne: a history, Melbourne University Press, Carlton, Vic., 1995, 455 pp. pp.223-25..

Archival resources

State Library of Victoria, Australian Manuscripts Collection

  • South Melbourne Ladies' Benevolent Society minute books, 1890 - 1925, MS 12333, Box 3158/5-6; South Melbourne Ladies' Benevolent Society (1875 - 1982); State Library of Victoria, Australian Manuscripts Collection. Details

Rosemary Francis

Site-wide information and acknowledgements

National Foundation for Australian Women The University of Melbourne, eScholarship Research Centre

© Copyright in The Australian Women's Register is owned by the Australian Women's Archives Project
and vested in each of the authors in respect of their contributions from 2000

http://www.womenaustralia.info/biogs/AWE0578b.htm

The Australian Women's Register is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Australia License

The Australian Women's Register is published quarterly by the Australian Women's Archives Project
ISSN 2207-3124