- 21 July 1888
The Princes Ida Club was established on 21 July 1888 and intended to "promote the common interests of, and to form a bond of union between the present and past women students" of The University of Melbourne. The women students' club took its name from Tennyson's The Princess and their colours were lilac and daffodil. The activities of the Club included social functions, debates, and literary discussions. In 1915 the Club merged with the University Union Women's Representative Committee.
Sources used to compile this entry: Historical note from the University of Melbourne Archives Database and University of Melbourne Archives, 'Admission of Women 1880', in Keys to the Past, University of Melbourne Archives, 2003, http://www.lib.unimelb.edu.au/collections/archives/keys/web/061.html accessed 2004-03-18.