Australian Women's Register

An initiative of The National Foundation for Australian Women (NFAW) in conjunction with The University of Melbourne

Skip to content

Use Trove to find more resources by/about this Organisation

  • Trove

Preston Ladies' Benevolent Society (1888 - 1986)

From
1888
Preston, Victoria, Australia
To
1986
Preston, Victoria, Australia
Occupations
Welfare organisation

Summary

The Preston Ladies' Benevolent Society was formed in 1888 with the aim of relieving 'distress among the less fortunate' in the Preston area. Mrs L Lyons was the inaugural president. Other early members included mesdames Richardson, Robinson, Carson, Warr, Showers, Harrap, Bell, Dale, Howe, Rundle, McKenzie, Hattam and Stone. It held monthly meetings where the cases were discussed , but no applicants were refused assistance. One of the Society's roles was to work with the Almoners from the hospitals to supply special cases with invalid food. Mrs Allchin, a long serving president, held the position for forty-nine years and died in December 1946. The Society operated under the umbrella of the Victorian Association of Benevolent Societies.

Related entries

Archival resources

The University of Melbourne Archives

  • Preston Ladies' Benevolent Society, 1937 - 1965, 87/131; Preston Ladies' Benevolent Society (1888 - 1986); The University of Melbourne Archives. Details

Rosemary Francis

Site-wide information and acknowledgements

National Foundation for Australian Women The University of Melbourne, eScholarship Research Centre

© Copyright in The Australian Women's Register is owned by the Australian Women's Archives Project
and vested in each of the authors in respect of their contributions from 2000

http://www.womenaustralia.info/biogs/AWE0625b.htm

The Australian Women's Register is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Australia License

The Australian Women's Register is published quarterly by the Australian Women's Archives Project
ISSN 2207-3124