Australian Women's Register

An initiative of The National Foundation for Australian Women (NFAW) in conjunction with The University of Melbourne

Skip to content

Use Trove to find more resources by/about this Organisation

  • Trove

Charity Organisation Society of Melbourne (1887 - )

From
1887
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Occupations
Welfare organisation
Alternative Names
  • Citizens Welfare Service of Victoria (also known as, 1947 - 1987)

Summary

The Charity Organisation Society of Melbourne was established in 1887 to help co-ordinate Melbourne's charitable organisations and to foster the ideal of 'self-help' in the poor. The Society's 21st Annual Report expressed the view that 'to strengthen a man's backbone rather than provide him with crutches, should be the aim of charity'. It has been claimed that it contributed to the development of social work as a profession, based on suitable training in appropriate disciplines. In 1947, the organisation became known as the Citizens Welfare Service of Victoria, reflecting a change in its approach towards casework counselling. It is now known as the Drummond St Relationship Centre.

Details

The Charity Organisation Society of Melbourne objects were to:
encourage and organise charitable work and to promote co-operation within the different organisations; 'to check imposture and professional mendicity, and to discourage indiscriminate alms-giving'; to inquire into all applications for assistance with the intention of determining if and in what way each case can be helped; to provide necessary relief during inquiry or pending arrangements with charitable institutions or assistance from other sources; to maintain a wood yard, or other labour test, so that the means of earning food and shelter shall be open to any applicant able and willing to work; to establish a loan fund; to keep records of all cases for reference and to maintain a Central Register of help given by all relieving agencies.

The Society operated out of 47 Collins Place , Melbourne. It moved to premises at 197 Drummond St Carlton in 1947, when it changed its name to the Citizens Welfare Service of Victoria.

The Society was administered by an Executive Committee which included the Office bearers and a committee of twelve, which the Council elected. No more than six of the Committee were to be 'ladies'.

Sources used to compile this entry: The Charity Organisation Society of Melbourne 21st Annual Report, p 15.

Related entries

Archival resources

The University of Melbourne Archives

  • Charity Organisation Society of Melbourne, 1890, 74/23; Charity Organisation Society of Melbourne (1887 - ); The University of Melbourne Archives. Details
  • Citizens Welfare Service of Victoria, 1887 - 1968, 80/87; Charity Organisation Society of Melbourne (1887 - ); The University of Melbourne Archives. Details
  • Citizens Welfare Service of Victoria, 1951 - 1955, 89/98; Charity Organisation Society of Melbourne (1887 - ); The University of Melbourne Archives. Details
  • Citizens Welfare Service of Victoria, 1900 - 1937, 91/153; Charity Organisation Society of Melbourne (1887 - ); The University of Melbourne Archives. Details
  • Citizens Welfare Service of Victoria, 1987, 88/58; Charity Organisation Society of Melbourne (1887 - ); The University of Melbourne Archives. Details

Rosemary Francis

Site-wide information and acknowledgements

National Foundation for Australian Women The University of Melbourne, eScholarship Research Centre

© Copyright in The Australian Women's Register is owned by the Australian Women's Archives Project
and vested in each of the authors in respect of their contributions from 2000

http://www.womenaustralia.info/biogs/AWE0630b.htm

The Australian Women's Register is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Australia License

The Australian Women's Register is published quarterly by the Australian Women's Archives Project
ISSN 2207-3124