Australian Women's Register

An initiative of The National Foundation for Australian Women (NFAW) in conjunction with The University of Melbourne

Skip to content

Use Trove to find more resources by/about this Organisation

  • Trove

The Anglican Mission to the Streets and Lanes of Melbourne (1886 - 1997)

From
1886
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
To
1997
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Occupations
Welfare organisation
Alternative Names
  • The Church Of England Mission to the Streets and Lanes of Melbourne (former name, 1958 - 1980)
  • Diocesan Mission to the Streets and Lanes of Melbourne (former name, 1886 - 1958)

Summary

The Anglican Mission to the Streets and Lanes of Melbourne was established in 1886 by the Bishop of Melbourne as the Diocesan Mission to the Streets and Lanes of Melbourne. The Council, the governing body of the Mission comprised mainly women with the exception of the Bishop of Melbourne and the Chaplain. The Council's aim was to employ deaconesses commissioned by the Bishop to 'visit in the lanes and courts and bring the message of the Gospel to the poor and fallen and by the force of their sisterly sympathy, compel the outcast to come in'. It wanted to include people who were not reached already by the ordinary parochial organisations, especially the category described as 'fallen women'. Miss Emma Silcock ( known as Sister Esther) assumed responsibility for the Mission in 1888. She was also the founder of the Community of the Holy Name in Victoria. By 1900 the Mission had a staff of six deaconesses and one probationer. Its first address was 171 Little Lonsdale St. It moved to a new building in Spring St in 1913 and in 1958 to Fitzroy St Fitzroy. In 1997 it merged with the Mission of St James and St John and the St John's Homes for Boys and Girls to form Anglicare.

Sources used to compile this entry: Strahan, Lynne, Out of the silence: a study of a Religious Community for women: The Community of the Holy Name, Oxford University Press, Melbourne, 1988, 307 pp.

Related entries

Archival resources

Anglicare Victoria

  • The Anglican Mission to the Streets and Lanes of Melbourne, 1886 - 1997; The Anglican Mission to the Streets and Lanes of Melbourne (1886 - 1997); Anglicare Victoria. Details

Rosemary Francis

Site-wide information and acknowledgements

National Foundation for Australian Women The University of Melbourne, eScholarship Research Centre

© Copyright in The Australian Women's Register is owned by the Australian Women's Archives Project
and vested in each of the authors in respect of their contributions from 2000

http://www.womenaustralia.info/biogs/AWE0633b.htm

The Australian Women's Register is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Australia License

The Australian Women's Register is published quarterly by the Australian Women's Archives Project
ISSN 2207-3124