- 23 June 1887
Birregurra, Victoria, Australia
- 5 May 1957
- Doctor and Religious Sister
- Alternative Names
- Sister Mary of the Sacred Heart (also known as)
On 29 November 1924 a ceremony of the Perpetual Profession of Dr Mary Glowrey, now Sister Mary of the Sacred Heart took place in the Church of St Agnes at Guntur (India). Mary Glowrey, who completed her medical training at the University of Melbourne, (MBBS 1910, MD 1919), was the first president of the Catholic Women's Social Guild (now Catholic Women's League). After receiving assurance from the Pope that she would be allowed to continue in her profession, Glowrey left Melbourne for India in 1920. At this time nuns were still prevented from practising medicine, She entered the Society of Jesus, Mary and Joseph, a Dutch order of nuns and spent the next 37 years involved with medical work in Guntur, India. Glowrey House, the Catholic Women's League headquarters in Nicholson Street, Fitzroy, is named in her honour.