Australian Women's Register

An initiative of The National Foundation for Australian Women (NFAW) in conjunction with The University of Melbourne

Skip to content

Use Trove to find more resources by/about this Organisation

  • Trove

Victorian Federation of Catholic Parents' Clubs (1958 - 1998)

From
1958
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
To
1998
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Occupations
Voluntary organisation
Alternative Names
  • Victorian Federation of Catholic Mothers' Clubs (former name, 1958 - 1976)
  • Victorian Federation of Catholic Mothers' Clubs and Parents' Associations (former name, 1976 - 1988)

Summary

The Victorian Federation of Catholic Parents' Clubs, originally named the Victorian Federation of Catholic Mothers' Clubs, was established in August 1958. The decision to form the federation was made at a meeting held in the Carmelite Hall in the Melbourne suburb of Middle Park. Five hundred women delegates from one hundred and six organisations associated with schools in suburban and country parishes attended. Its aims were to support and publicise the work, achievements and needs of Catholic schools in Victoria and to seek free education for all children in the schools of their parents' choice. Its motto was 'Love Conquers All'. It worked for forty years to achieve its aims and ceased functioning in 1998.

Details

Mr J Carr, impressed by the success of the mothers' clubs in state schools, suggested that the Federation be formed.The inaugural office bearers were: president, Mrs Cullen, vice presidents Mrs Dynon and Mrs Crough, secretary Mrs Cuffley, Treasurer Mrs Phelan. Mrs Marie Kohn, president in 1969 was a tireless worker and held positions of president, secretary, assistant secretary and regional organiser throughout the federation's existence. She was made a Life Member.

The aims of the federation were:
*To promote the educational welfare of children in the community.
* Publicise the work, achievements and needs of Catholic schools.
* Foster a desire for better educational facilities and opportunities.
* Provide schools with modern improvements and teaching aids.
* Seek free education for all children from kindergarten to matriculation in the schools of their parents' choices.
* To promote co-operation between parents and teachers and to assist parents to better fulfil their role in the education and training of their children.
* To encourage proper co-operation between Mothers' Clubs in different districts.
* To express the views of Catholic mothers on matters affecting the education and welfare of their children.

The Federation could claim some success when the federal Government introduced a per capita grant of $35.00 per primary child and $50.00 per secondary student in 1969.

The final address of the Victorian Federation of Catholic Parents' Clubs was
22 Brunswick St, Fitzroy Vic. 3065

Sources used to compile this entry: The Advocate, 28 August 1958.

Related entries

President

Secretary

Archival resources

Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne, Melbourne Diocesan Historical Commission

  • Victorian Federation of Catholic Parents' Clubs records, 1958 - 1998, 841; Victorian Federation of Catholic Parents' Clubs (1958 - 1998); Catholic Archdiocese of Melbourne, Melbourne Diocesan Historical Commission. Details

Rosemary Francis

Site-wide information and acknowledgements

National Foundation for Australian Women The University of Melbourne, eScholarship Research Centre

© Copyright in The Australian Women's Register is owned by the Australian Women's Archives Project
and vested in each of the authors in respect of their contributions from 2000

http://www.womenaustralia.info/biogs/AWE0749b.htm

The Australian Women's Register is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Australia License

The Australian Women's Register is published quarterly by the Australian Women's Archives Project
ISSN 2207-3124