Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Social support organisation
- Alternative Names
- Catholic Women's Association (former name, 1913 - 1941)
- Legion of Catholic Women (former name, 1941 - 1959)
- Level 8 Polding Centre 133 Liverpool St Sydney 2000
The Catholic Women's League was established in 1913 as the Catholic Women's Association,(later became the Legion of Catholic Women in 1941 and in 1959 the Catholic Women's League). Its aim was to provide Catholic women of Sydney with a broader society, one which crossed parish boundaries and provided them with a focus for social life. As it evolved, the Parish branches became the power base, with women contributing to parish life as Catechists, Eucharistic Ministers, through hospital visitation, care and support groups, welcoming committees, discussion groups and fundraising. The Catholic Women's League continues to provide a voice for Catholic women in Church and society by addressing social and moral issues affecting family life, particularly women and children. It is affiliated with the Catholic Women's League Australia Inc.
Sources used to compile this entry: Carey, Hilary M., Truly feminine truly Catholic: a history of the Catholic Women's League in the Archdiocese of Sydney 1913-87., New South Wales University Press, Kensington, N.S.W., 1987, 218 pp; Catholic Women's League, Sydney: faith, fellowship, fun, Catholic Women's League, Archdiocese of Sydney, 2004, http://cwlsydney.org.au/.