Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
- Social support organisation
- Alternative Names
- Catholic Women's Association, Canberra and Goulburn (former name, 1945 - 1959)
- Haydon Centre P O Box 3259 Manuka ACT 2603
The Catholic Women's League Archdiocese of Canberra and Goulburn was established on 8 November 1945. It began as a small group in St Christopher's Parish, Canberra to provide hostesses for official parish occasions and to raise money for the church community. It spread later to the city of Goulburn, to town and country centres outside the Archdiocese. Its affiliation with the Federal Council of Catholic Women of Australia in 1953 meant that its agenda broadened from parish affairs to the wider community and to matters of national and global importance to women and their families. It now promotes the intellectual, spiritual, cultural and social welfare of women. It is affiliated with the Catholic Women's League Australia Inc.
Sources used to compile this entry: Tilse, Ulrich, A power for good: a history of the Catholic Women's Association and Catholic Women's League, Canberra and Goulburn, Catholic Women's League, Canberra and Goulburn, Canberra, 1998, 156 pp.