- 25 October 1914
Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
- Social support organisation
The inaugural meeting of the Catholic Women's League in Australia took place in Adelaide, South Australia on 25 October 1914. Based on the British model, the aim was to centralise the activities of various Catholic women's societies and give public expression to Catholic thought on vital questions. Its founder, Miss Betty Leworthy became the first secretary, with Mrs Abigail McMahon Glynn president. Whilst in London in 1916 Glynn received permission to use the British Catholic Women's League badge. Australian members devised their motto as 'Charity, Work, Loyalty' and expressed the intention 'to unite Catholic women in a bond of common fellowship for the promotion of religious and intellectual interests and social work'. One of its major projects was to establish the St Mary's Hostel in 1916, which continued until 1972. From 1975 the Catholic Women's League Child Care Centre operated from the Hostel site at 178 East Terrace.
Sources used to compile this entry: O'Neil, Bernard, Learning for life: St Mary's Hostel (1916-1972) and the Catholic Women's League Child Care Centre (1975-1999), Catholic Women's League of South Australia, Adelaide, 1999, 150 pp; Catholic Women's League Child Care Centre (1975 - 1999.