Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Welfare organisation
- Alternative Names
- Victorian Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children (former name, 1896 - 1971)
- 70 Altona St Heidelberg West Vic 3081 Telephone: 9458 3566
The Children's Protection Society (CPS) was founded in 1896 as the Victorian Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Children. An initiative of the Governor's wife, Lady Sybil de Vere Brassey, its aims were to protect children from cruelty and neglect, to advance the claims of neglected, abandoned and orphan children to the general public, to co-operate with existing societies for this purpose and to enforce the existing laws for the protection of neglected children and juvenile offenders. It was one of the few secular non government agencies in the child welfare field and it operated on the philosophy of persuading or, in the last resort, compelling parents to fulfil their responsibilities. It became the Children's Protection Society in 1971. Changes to welfare policy and legislative reform in 1985 meant a change in the Society's role but not in the objective to reduce child abuse and neglect.