- Lobby group
- CWA Office, 3 Packard Place, Darwin, NT
The Country Women's Association of the Northern Territory is a non-sectarian, non-party-political, non-profit lobby group and service association working in the interests of women and children in rural areas. Although ostensibly non-party-political, in practice the group has tended to bolster conservative politics.
The Association was officially formed in 1961, although the first branch had been formed in Alice Springs in 1933, with branches in Tennant Creek, Darwin and Katherine following soon after. The southern branches were originally affiliated with the South Australian CWA, while those in Darwin and Katherine were connected with the Queensland CWA.
Archival Note: Since, prior to 1960, the Tennant Creek and Alice Springs Branches were managed by the South Australian CWA and the Darwin, and the Katherine and Darwin Branches were managed by the Queensland CWA, some records relating to these branches will be contained in the archives of those state organisations.