Carlton, Victoria, Australia
- Welfare organisation and Social support organisation
- Alternative Names
- Livingstone Home (former name, 1891 - 1905)
- Orana Family Services (also known as, 1989 - )
- Orana The Peace Memorial Homes for Children (also known as, 1953 - 1989)
- 6 Papworth Place Meadow Heights Vic 3048 Telephone: 03 9302 2700 Fax: 03 9302 1023 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Originally known as Livingstone House in Carlton, then as Livingstone Home in Cheltenham in 1891, the Methodist Homes for Children provided temporary care for abused or neglected children while waiting for them to go to homes in the country. The Committee, which comprised mainly women, wanted to ensure that the children were cared for in a home like atmosphere rather than that of an institution. As demand for such accommodation increased, children remained at the Homes until they completed their education. On their move to Burwood in 1953,The Homes were subsequently known as Orana, The Peace Memorial Homes for Children and from 1989 Orana Family Services. In 1989, at the request of the State government, the organisation moved to its present location in Meadow Heights.
Sources used to compile this entry: Howe, Renate and Swain, Shurlee, All God's children: a centenary history of the Methodist Homes for Children and the Orana Peace Memorial Homes, Acorn Press, Kambah, ACT, 1989, 204 pp.