- Alternative Names
- Women's Non-Party Political Association (former name)
- Women's Political Association (former name)
Originally formed in 1909 as the Women's Political Association, its name was quickly changed to the Women's Non-Party Political Association and then the Women's Non-Party Association. Catherine Helen Spence spoke at the inaugural meeting and introduced the major planks of the Association which were 'Equal Federal Marriage and Divorce Laws', and 'Equal Pay for Equal Work'. In 1939 the Association changed its name to the League of Women Voters. This was an Australian-wide title that enabled its aims to be more widely known. The League remained politically active in these areas and was instrumental in the development of a Parliamentary Bill to enact the principle of equality for female and male parents which was passed in 1940. In later years the League developed a close relationship with the Women's Electoral Lobby, acting as a mentor. In 1979 the League was voluntarily wound up as it was felt that the Women's Electoral Lobby could carry on its work. Ellinor Walker gave the valedictory address.
Sources used to compile this entry: Allen, Margaret (Margaret Ellen), 1947- ; Hutchison, Mary and Mackinnon, Alison, 1942-, Fresh evidence, new witnesses : finding women's history, South Australian Government Printer, Netley, SA, 1989, 284 pp. pp.212-230 especially pp.228-229 for Consitution).; Nicholson, Marie, 'Women's Politics in South Australia: The Ideas of the Women's Non-Party Association, 1918-1933', Hons thesis, University of Adelaide, 1983, 64 pp; Szekeres, Vivienne Rebecca, 'A history of the League of Women Voters in South Australia, 1909-1976', Hons thesis, University of Adelaide, 1976, 74 pp.