Australian Women's Register

An initiative of The National Foundation for Australian Women (NFAW) in conjunction with The University of Melbourne

Skip to content

Use Trove to find more resources by/about this Organisation

  • Trove

Australian Federation of Graduate Women (South Australia) Inc. (1914 - )

From
1914
Adelaide
Occupations
University club/society, Women’s advocacy and Lobby group
Alternative Names
  • Adelaide University Women's Graduates' Association (previous name, 1929 - 1968)
  • Australian Federation of University Women (South Australia) Inc. (Previous name, 1974 - 2009)
  • South Australian University Women Graduates' Association (previous name, 1968 - 1974)
  • Women Graduates' Club (previous name, 1914 - 1929)

Summary

The Australian Federation of Graduate Women (South Australia) Inc. was founded in 1914 as the Women Graduates' Club, a sub-society of the Adelaide University Women Students' Club. Its aims as adopted at the first meeting on 7 July 1914 were "To provide social intercourse among women graduates" and "to deal with questions primarily affecting University graduates". From 1923 the association became an affiliate of the National Federation of Graduate Women (then known as the National Federation of University Women).

Details

First established in 1914, in 1923 the Club affiliated with the Australian Federation of University Women (AFUW). The same year the Club affiliated with the Women Students' Union (as the Women Students' Club had become known), assuming independent status rather than that of a sub-society. It disaffiliated with the Women Students' Union in 1929 and became The Adelaide University Women's Graduates' Association. It later affiliated directly with the University Union in 1934. In 1968 the name of the Association was changed to the South Australian University Women Graduates' Association, following the establishment of Flinders University. After the Brisbane Conference of January 1974 all branches of the AFUW altered their consititutions and names in the interest of uniformity and greater unity, and the Association became the AFUW - SA. The Association was incorporated in 1981. In 2009, the name was changed again in line with the National body.

The objects of the Association as expressed in the 1929 constitution were "to promote understanding and friendship between the women graduates of this and other universities and to keep abreast of modern developments in academic subjects of interest to students". A bursary fund was established in 1929 and donations were made to the Australian Federation for scholarships and bursaries, the funds being derived from subscriptions and from the hiring of hoods and gowns (initiated in 1935). In the 1960s, a formula was established for the apportionment of funds for bursaries, and the Association began a separate fund to finance its own bursaries while still contributing to AFUW. And IFUW fellowships. The Jean Gilmore bursary was established in 1969 (initial value $500, open to all Australian women graduates proceding to a higher degree) and the Doreen McCarthy and Barbara Case bursaries in 1979. Vocations Conferences for female secondary students were initiated in 1933 and held regularly (with the exception of the war years) until 1973.

Related entries

Archival resources

Barr Smith Library, Special Collections, The University of Adelaide

  • Australian Federation of University Women - South Australia [Papers] [manuscript], 1914 - 1983, 376.65099423 A938p; Barr Smith Library, Special Collections, The University of Adelaide. Details

Jane Carey

Site-wide information and acknowledgements

National Foundation for Australian Women The University of Melbourne, eScholarship Research Centre

© Copyright in The Australian Women's Register is owned by the Australian Women's Archives Project
and vested in each of the authors in respect of their contributions from 2000

http://www.womenaustralia.info/biogs/AWE1035b.htm

The Australian Women's Register is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Australia License

The Australian Women's Register is published quarterly by the Australian Women's Archives Project
ISSN 2207-3124