- Religious organisation, Lobby group, Philanthropic organisation, Membership organisation and Women's Rights Organisation
- Alternative Names
- Council of Jewish Women
- NCJW NSW Section Inc: PO Box 57, Woollahra, NSW 1350 Tel. (02) 9363 0257 Fax (02) 9362 4092 firstname.lastname@example.org
The National Council of Jewish Women, New South Wales Division was established in 1923. Originally called the Council of Jewish Women, in 1927 a national body (The National Council of Jewish Women of Australia) was formed and a separate New South Division of this organisation established.
Fanny Reading, the first president, immediately set about implementing service programs for the local Jewish community. An immigrant welfare committee was established, which was the first to provide any assistance for Jewish immigration in Sydney. Funds were raised for the relief of Polish Jewry. Other work included teaching Sunday Schools, visiting people in hospital, and assisting with other fundraising projects, both Jewish and non-Jewish, as well as social events particularly for Juniors. The Council in Sydney was particularly involved in supporting the Zionist cause and then with support for Israel. By the 1960s, it had several groups operating across Sydney and one in Newcastle.
Over its long history, the Council has been involved in an enormous array of issues, as well as charitable, educational and social activities. The Council continues today as a non-profit, voluntary, organisation for Jewish women, acting for their advancement and for social justice generally.
Sources used to compile this entry: Newton, Marlo Leigh, Making a Difference: A History of the National Council of Jewish Women of Australia, Hybrid Publishers, Melbourne, 2000, 342 pp.