- Lobby group and Women's Rights Organisation
The New Housewives' Association (NHA) was formed in Sydney, New South Wales, in 1946. A number of suburban branches, including Chatswood, were established. The NHA's Central Committee adopted the Australian Women's Charter seeking equal status for women, launched at the Australian Women's Conference for Victory in War and Victory in Peace, 1943. The NHA's progressive platform attracted Communist women to this working-class body. It campaigned for the reduction and strict control of prices, mainly of household commodities; equal pay for women and increased Child Endowment; and the establishment of municipal markets in order to bring cheaper goods to housewives. In 1949 the NHA supported trade-union demand for a 30 shilling increase in the Basic Wage. It published a journal, The New Housewife, and a magazine, The Housewives' Guide. In 1950 the NHA National Committee moved to change the Association's name to reflect a broader constituency beyond women in the home; this gave rise to a new organisation, the Union of Australian Women.
Sources used to compile this entry: New Housewives Association, Chatswood Branch Records, with the associated records of the Chatswood-Willoughby Prices Committee, 1947 - 1950, MLMSS 6229; Mitchell and Dixson Libraries Manuscripts Collection, State Library of New South Wales.