Australian Women's Register

An initiative of The National Foundation for Australian Women (NFAW) in conjunction with The University of Melbourne

Skip to content

Exhibitions

  • Unbroken Spirit: Women in Broken Hill

Use Trove to find more resources by/about this Woman

  • Trove

Quin, Edith (1850 - ?)

Born
1850
London, United Kingdom
Died
Australia
Occupation
Grazier and Pioneer

Summary

Edith Quin emigrated to Australia from England and, with her husband, was one of the first graziers in the Wilcannia district.

Details

With her parents and brothers, Edith Quin left England for South Australia in 1853 and settled in Adelaide. There her mother had three more children before Edith's father died in 1860.

At the age of eighteen Edith began work as a governess for the family of Mr. J. J. Bonnor, a solicitor living at 'Strathalbyn', 65 kilometres from Adelaide. After five months she moved to Wentworth to teach at the local school. In January 1871, Edith travelled up the Darling River to the budding township of Wilcannia, almost 200 kilometres from Broken Hill. There she was married, and with her new husband she moved in November 1872 to 'Tarella', a pastoral station 80 kilometres north of Wilcannia.

Conditions were very tough at 'Tarella'. The delivery of stores was reliant on river transport and in years of drought, low river levels caused long delays that often lasted months - the longest was two years. The Quins experienced extreme weather conditions including periods of drought, dust storms and floods, as well as plagues of grasshoppers, locusts, rats, mice and rabbits.

Edith and her husband stayed at 'Tarella' until 1908, and eventually sold the property at the end of 1910 after moving to a farm in the Lysterfield Valley in Victoria. Before she died Edith composed a brief memoir, currently held by the Outback Archives in Broken Hill.


This entry was prepared and written by Georgia Moodie.

Sources used to compile this entry: Quin, Edith, 'Memoirs to my Dear Children', in Lindsay, Robert (ed.), Material Relating to the History of Wilcannia, vol. 1, Wilcannia & District Historical Society, Wilcannia, NSW, 1979, pp. 46-52.

Barbara Lemon

Site-wide information and acknowledgements

National Foundation for Australian Women The University of Melbourne, eScholarship Research Centre

© Copyright in The Australian Women's Register is owned by the Australian Women's Archives Project
and vested in each of the authors in respect of their contributions from 2000

http://www.womenaustralia.info/biogs/AWE4093b.htm

The Australian Women's Register is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Australia License

The Australian Women's Register is published quarterly by the Australian Women's Archives Project
ISSN 2207-3124