Australian Women's Register

An initiative of The National Foundation for Australian Women (NFAW) in conjunction with The University of Melbourne

Skip to content
  • Click to view this Image

    Munitions Factory Canteen 1944
    Details

Exhibitions

  • Unbroken Spirit: Women in Broken Hill

Use Trove to find more resources by/about this Organisation

  • Trove

Broken Hill Munitions Annexe (1942 - 1946)

From
1942
Broken Hill, New South Wales, Australia
To
1946

Summary

The Broken Hill Munitions Annexe opened in 1942 for the manufacture of wartime munitions and employed dozens of Broken Hill women.

Details

Mirroring a trend that took place throughout Australia, unprecedented levels of female participation in the workforce were attained in Broken Hill during World War II. A significant employer of women in wartime was the Munitions Factory that opened in Broken Hill in 1942. In January 1941, members of Broken Hill's peak union body, the Barrier Industrial Council, and of the Unemployed Union organised a demonstration in favour of the establishment of a factory in order to create jobs. The project to build Munitions Factory received the financial support of the Mining Managers' Association on condition that the building be used to house a permanent trade annexe after the war. From September 1941 the site for the building in the Duke of Cornwall Reserve was leased to the Broken Hill Technical College by the mining companies, and building commenced in June of the following year.

In August 1942, a Women's Employment Office was established at the Broken Hill Court House, and married women were also able to register for employment, despite a long-standing and strictly abided union policy that women would not work after marrying. The factory opened in November, employing over 300 women and 80 men to create nose cone assemblies for 25-pound shells. When interviewed by the Barrier Miner newspaper, the manager of the factory, Mr J. L. Mayson, assured its readers that there was "no strain attached to the work" and that the "work standard [was] quite within the reach of an average girl". The women employed were responsible for overseeing the smooth operation of the machinery and for checking the quality of the finished part. Photos of the women at work supervising the munitions machines and on their lunch break in the canteen give a strong impression of the sense of pride, enjoyment and accomplishment that these women would have experience. (see Gallery Tab)

In 1946, the building was handed over to the Technical College and became know as the Broken Hill Technical College Annexe.

Sources used to compile this entry: Vicki Taylor and Ann McLachlan, 'Broken Hill Technical College and Museum: A History', 1998; Maria Nugent, 'Women's Employment and Professionalism in Australia: Histories, Themes and Places', The Australian Heritage Commission, 2002.

Archival resources

Outback Archives, Broken Hill City Library

  • Minutes of the Broken Hill Technical College Advisory Committee, 25 July 1941 - 6 August 1948, Box: A. Coulls 94/4/1; Outback Archives, Broken Hill City Library. Details

Digital resources

Title
Women in the Workforce WWII
Type
Image
Control
16

Details

Title
Munitions Annexe Canteen c1943
Type
Image

Details

Title
Munitions Tip
Type
Image

Details

Title
Munitions Factory Canteen 1944
Type
Image
Control
15

Details

Barbara Lemon

Site-wide information and acknowledgements

National Foundation for Australian Women The University of Melbourne, eScholarship Research Centre

© Copyright in The Australian Women's Register is owned by the Australian Women's Archives Project
and vested in each of the authors in respect of their contributions from 2000

http://www.womenaustralia.info/biogs/AWE4103b.htm

The Australian Women's Register is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Australia License

The Australian Women's Register is published quarterly by the Australian Women's Archives Project
ISSN 2207-3124