Mitcham, South Australia, Australia
- Women's refuge
The Catholic Female Refuge in Adelaide was established in Mitcham in in 1856 to shelter girls who were in 'moral danger'. Its 'clients' soon extended beyond girls to women who also needed support. In exchange for care and shelter, women and girls assisted with the sewing and laundry work which helped to provide an income for the refuge. Some women remained at there for years as 'Magdalens' working and praying with the nuns.
From 1868 to 1962 Josephite nuns ran the refuge, which moved to Norwood in 1872, and into new premises at Fullarton in 1901. The institution continues to function today as a women's housing co-operative.