Newtown, New South Wales, Australia
- Educational institution
- Alternative Names
- Women's College
Established in 1892, The Women's College within the University of Sydney was the first residential university college for women in Australia and has been in continuous use as a university college for women for well over a century. From modest and financially challenging beginnings, it developed into (and remains) a flourishing institution, particularly after 1916 when it finally received equivalent financial endowment to that of the male colleges.
The College's first home was a rented house in Glebe. It moved to its own building within the University grounds in May 1894. Designed by the architectural firm of Sulman & Power, the College's first permanent home still forms the heart of the present building complex and is heritage listed. In 2009 the College accommodates 250 women undergraduates and 30 postgraduates. It is a prgoressive organisation that is proud of its tradition of being at the forefront of education and social theory and championing women's rights, academic thought and leadership.
Sources used to compile this entry: Hole, W. Vere and Anne H. Treweeke, The History of the Women's College within the University of Sydney, Sydney, 1953.