Australian Women's Register

An initiative of The National Foundation for Australian Women (NFAW) in conjunction with The University of Melbourne

Skip to content

Use Trove to find more resources by/about this Organisation

  • Trove

The Dame Marjorie Parker Creche (1945 - )

From
1945
Launceston, Tasmania, Australia
Occupations
Commemoration
Location
87 Margaret Street Launceston Tas. 7250 Phone 6331 8737 Fax 6334 5079

Summary

The creche was named after its Founder, President and Patron Dame Marjorie Parker.

Details

The Launceston Creche was formed in 1945, as a unit of the Launceston War Memorial Community Centre.
On 25 November 1948, a temporary Creche was opened by the Governors' wife, Lady Binney. It operated from two small rooms at the Albert Hall for the next seven years, but was forced to close when the rooms were required for other purposes.
The Creche opened in Cameron Street, in June 1956, after the Tasmanian Minister for Health, Dr A J Turnbull, assisted the committee by making provision for the Creche service on part of the first floor of the new Child Health Centre.
The Creche found a permanent home in November 1977, when it moved to its current location.

(Source: Information supplied by Sally Von Bertouch, Director Dame Marjorie Parker Creche)

Related entries

Anne Heywood

Site-wide information and acknowledgements

National Foundation for Australian Women The University of Melbourne, eScholarship Research Centre

© Copyright in The Australian Women's Register is owned by the Australian Women's Archives Project
and vested in each of the authors in respect of their contributions from 2000

http://www.womenaustralia.info/biogs/IMP0059b.htm

The Australian Women's Register is licensed under a
Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Australia License

The Australian Women's Register is published quarterly by the Australian Women's Archives Project
ISSN 2207-3124