- 20 February 1908
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
- Philanthropic organisation, Women's reform group and Women's rights organisation
- Alternative Names
- Women's Progressive Club (Previous Name)
- 25 Mary Street Brisbane Queensland 4000
One of the oldest women's clubs in Queensland, the Brisbane Women's Club was formed in 1908 under the sponsorship of the Queensland Women's Electoral League. Originally called the Women's Progressive Club, the name was changed to the Brisbane Women's Club in May 1912. Ardent feminist and women's rights campaigner Margaret Ogg was one of the 59 founding members.
The objectives of the club were to provide a social centre for women workers in the cause of reform and to encourage free discussion on subjects of public importance, including social, political and municipal matters. The club lobbied the Brisbane City Council and the State Government for the betterment of the community. In an effort to improve the life of rural women, the club was instrumental in the establishment of the Queensland Country Women's Association in 1922 and the Bush Book Club in 1921. The Brisbane Women's Club celebrated its centenary in 2008 and continues to provide a social and cultural centre with a philanthropic charter.