- 18 June 1897?
Essendon, Victoria, Australia
Chiltern, Victoria, Australia
- Community worker and Pharmacist
- Alternative Names
- Grey, Hilda (Birth)
Hilda Dow (nee Grey) was the daughter of police magistrate Charles Grey, and sister of Royal Melbourne Hospital Lady Superintendent Helene Grey, OBE. Hilda Grey became a student of the Victorian College of Pharmacy in 1919. In 1929, she was working at Poynton's pharmacy in Morwell, when she purchased the pharmacy at Chiltern in Victoria. She was elected to the Pharmceutical Society of Victoria as a member in 1930 Hilda apprenticed her husband, Roy Dow, and the two ran the pharmacy in Chiltern until 1968, when they closed the doors. In 1988 Mrs Dow donated the pharmacy, which had been operating on the site since 1859, intact to the National Trust, and it is now a museum. Hilda Dow was a foundation member of the North East branch of the National Trust, a member of the hospital committee and board, of the Infant Welfare Centre and the Red Cross, and a member and office bearer of the Chiltern Branch of the County Women's Association.
Sources used to compile this entry: National Trust of Australia (Victoria), 'Dow's Pharmacy: A Brief History of the Chemist's Shop in Conness Street', 1989; Pharmaceutical Society of Victoria - Archives, c. 1857 - c. 1955, MS 9601; Pharmaceutical Society of Victoria; State Library of Victoria, Australian Manuscripts Collection; 'Women Who Have Achieved'; Wodonga Historical Society; Wodonga Historical Society.